Monitoring Threats to Irish Rivers
EPA Water Abstraction Register
An abstraction is the removal or diversion of water from a river, lake, stream, spring, groundwater well, borehole or estuary, for any purpose.
By law, if you abstract 25 cubic meters (25,000 litres) of water or more per day, you must register this abstraction with the EPA. 25 cubic meters is equivalent to about 150 bathtubs of water. A farm with 200 dairy cows, or a housing estate with 42 households, would use around 25 cubic meters of water per day. A well supplying a single household typically abstracts less than one cubic meter of water per day.
These regulations are set out in the European Union (Water Policy) (Abstractions Registration) Regulations 2018 (S.I. No. 261 of 2018).
Anyone can request a version of the abstractions register by contacting the EPA at email@example.com
The Water Abstraction Register does not include the names of the entities abstracting water
The Water Abstraction Register does not include the abstraction point, instead it narrows it down to a general area, which can make analysis difficult
The Water Abstraction Register does not include any abstractions by Irish Water
• • •
- Otter Surveys (2010 survey and 2022 tender)National Otter Survey of Ireland 2010/12 2022 Otter Survey Tender Co-ordinate NPWS staff training and input into the national survey to ensure competency and consistency throughout https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/rwlproposal_s.asp?PID=229484
- EPA Enforcement Actions: Peat ExtractionOEE AIE 22 34 Peat Operators Note, a number of the records on Site A and Site B were refused Abbeylara Peat, Monasteradeen Co Sligo Ballymaglavy, Abbeyshrule Co Westmeath Clara…
- AIE Request: Provision of a detailed scientific assessment of peat land landslides in Leitrim, Kerry and DonegalNov 2022 AIE response is all precontract details, not the assessment This assessment is still ongoing, so no final report is available via AIE Will update and/or resubmit depending on…
- Wicklow National Park overlaid with Commonage
- Compensatory Flows at Vartry Water Treatment Plant (Wicklow)Includes RIVER VARTRY WETTED AREA HABITAT BASELINE ASSESSMENT Reports Source: AIE to Irish Water Nov 2022
- Enhanced Decommissioning Rehabilitation and Restoration Scheme (EDRRS) ReportsReceived via AIE, Nov 2022 Quarterly Reports – Bord Na Mona (January 2022 to Sept 2022)
- AIE Request: EPA inspection reports, warning letters and other enforcement records related to twelve peat extractors operating without a licenceOEE AIE 2022 34 Under the AIE Regs to request copies of EPA enforcement correspondence referenced in the following news article https://www.noteworthy.ie/peats-sake-pt9-unregulated-extraction-5731111-Apr2022/ Note this would include inspection reports, warning letters…
- Coillte felling licences LM01-FL0010 & LM01-FL0011 at Crumpane, Co LeitrimAIE 22/1444 Issue: Coillte felling licence suspended due to siltation mobilisation All post licence issue information relating to Coillte felling licences LM01-FL0010 & LM01-FL0011 at Crumpane, Co Leitrim ; including…
- Loughmore Canal, LimerickIDA Ireland intend to carry out maintenance dredging works to Loughmore Canal, Limerick. The canal runs for approximately 1.0 kilometres through Loughmore Common Turlough PHNA, a shallow often dry turlough…
- Integrated framework for river restoration and nature-based solutions for integrated catchment managementDraft August 2022
• • •