Monitoring Threats to Irish Rivers
EPA Water Abstraction Register
An abstraction is the removal or diversion of water from a river, lake, stream, spring, groundwater well, borehole or estuary, for any purpose.
By law, if you abstract 25 cubic meters (25,000 litres) of water or more per day, you must register this abstraction with the EPA. 25 cubic meters is equivalent to about 150 bathtubs of water. A farm with 200 dairy cows, or a housing estate with 42 households, would use around 25 cubic meters of water per day. A well supplying a single household typically abstracts less than one cubic meter of water per day.
These regulations are set out in the European Union (Water Policy) (Abstractions Registration) Regulations 2018 (S.I. No. 261 of 2018).
Anyone can request a version of the abstractions register by contacting the EPA at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Water Abstraction Register does not include the names of the entities abstracting water
The Water Abstraction Register does not include the abstraction point, instead it narrows it down to a general area, which can make analysis difficult
The Water Abstraction Register does not include any abstractions by Irish Water
• • •
- AIE Request: Coastal Concern Alliance to Dept of Housing on Sandbank Surveys, Habitats and DesignationsNote: Good summary of the issues involved by IWT is at https://iwt.ie/dodgy-dealings-under-the-sea/ Habitat mapping as part of the MESH Programme; Ground truth area surveyed by Celtic Voyager 2004 Survey Data…
- TAILTE ÉIREANN ACT 2022 (NATIONAL MAPPING DIVISION FEES) ORDER 2023
- Silt discharge via Section 4 trade effluent discharge pipe: Ballylusk Quarry, WicklowLicenced discharge
- WW02-FL0099 Coillte Felling Licence, Enniskerry, WicklowBarnamire & Cloon, Co. Wicklow
- List of advisory assignments for NewEra for 2021, 2022 and 2023 (YTD) for the following portfolio companies: Bord na Mona and Coillte2023.01.AIE.IR Under the AIE Regs to requestList of advisory assignments for NewEra for 2021, 2022 and 2023 (YTD) for the following portfolio companies1. Bord na Mona2. Coillte”
- OCEI – AIE Cases (currently on appeal, as at March 2023)
- DAFM: Whether the Department complied with its obligations under article 7(3) of the RegulationsCase: OCE-118952-D7H1Q2
- DAFM: whether the Department was justified in refusing the appellant’s request on the basis that no information within the scope of that request is held by or for itCase: OCE-119758-L8R2B8 Note: Para 17 bullet point 2 is the interesting one. If the AIE section does not have access to the relevant information the onus falls on the other…
- GPT-4 list of national environmental protection agencies in EuropeIt would be quite difficult to provide an exhaustive list of all the national environmental protection agencies in Europe, as there are many different agencies across the continent with varying…
- EPA Peatland Site Inspection ReportsAIE Request OEE AIE 2023 06 “…to request site inspection reports for peatland sites Page 16 of https://www.epa.ie/publications/corporate/governance/EPA-Annual-Report-and-Accounts-2021_EN.pdf Figure 2. Summary of EPA enforcement activities Notes 55 site inspections, 48…
• • •