Unauthorised peat harvesting in Ireland – who do you report suspected illegal peat extraction to ?

Response from EPA 

Further to my phone conversation with you today. Possible illegal peat harvesting on an SAC site,  should be reported to National Parks and Wildlife Services (NPWS).

NPWS can be contacted on nature.conservation@chg.gov.ie or 1890 383 000. Contact information for the local Conservation Ranger can be found at https://www.npws.ie/contact-us.

Regarding bog drainage and illegal peat harvesting on Bord na Mona sites,  could you please send the EPA the details and address of this site via environmentalcomplaints@epa.ie

Other illegal peat drainage and harvesting at sites below 50 hectares should be reported to the relevant City/ County Council  via https://www.housing.gov.ie/local-government/administration/local-authorities/local-authorities


Trusting this will be of assistance to you.


Kind regards,


Cyrina Okoro

Programme Officer – Networks and Legal Team – Complaints Unit

Office of Environmental Enforcement, Wexford

Leave a Reply