EDEN Walkthrough – what data is collected by the EPA when a waste operator / local authority submits an Article 11 request (for Waste Disposal and Recovery Activities)

Waste Management (Facility Permit and Registration) Regulations, 2007, Amended by the Waste Management (Facility Permit and Registration)(Amendment) Regulations, 2008

Request under Article 11 of the Regulations to the Environmental Protection Agency for determination as to whether an activity requires a waste licence, waste facility permit, certificate of registration or none of these

Note from EPA: You must have following information to-hand before completing the Article 11 Request form.

  • Contact email address.
  • Grid Reference (Eastings & Northings).
  • Site map, showing outline of site of proposed activity.
  • The Authorisation or Registration Number if you have existing authorisation i.e. Waste/IPPC Licence, Waste Permit, Certificate of Registration.
  • The Reference Number if you have submitted a previous Article 11 request.
  • Description of Waste, including:
    • Solid or Liquid
    • European Waste Catalogue (EWC) Code
    • Annual intake in tonnes
    • Annual intake in litres
    • Source of Waste
  • The amount, in tonnes and litres, of ‘residual waste’ remaining after recovery that is to be sent on for disposal.
  • Whether ‘biological treatment’ is involved in the proposed activity.
  • For biological treatment processes, the quantity of biowaste, digestate and compost, as relevant, in tonnes and cubic metres that will be present at the facility at any one time.
  • For land deposition/reclamation/restoration activities, the amount of waste (in tonnes) to be deposited over the operational lifetime of the activity.
  • Information related to Planning – planning reference number or evidence of exemption.
  • Information on Designated Sites, where applicable (e.g. Special Areas of Conservation, Special Protection Areas, Ramsar sites, Natural Heritage Areas). Information should include:
    • Site Name
    • Site Code
  • Confirmation as to whether or not the site of the proposed activity is in, or next to, a wetland.

Local Authority- Do I need a Waste Licence or Certificate of Registration

Private Sector – Do I need a Waste Licence, Permit or Certificate of Registration

Drop down for “Source of Waste” is as follows:

Construction & Demolition

Municipal (Household & Commercial)



Gardens & Parks




Waste Management Industry


For more details see




Database for waste facility permits and certificates of registration

The Waste Facility Permit and the Certificate of Registration Database is a register for waste facility permits and certificates of registration issued by local authorities under the Waste Management (Facility Permit and Registration) Regulations, S.I. No. 821 of 2007, as amended. This website is a central register hosted by the National Waste Collection Permit Office (NWCPO) of all waste facility permits and certificates of registration granted, reviewed, revoked and expired. The database can be accessed at the following link: http://facilityregister.nwcpo.ie/

Sample waste permit


Leave a Reply