Clare County Council approach to non-draining turlough at Ballyvelaghan (2018)
1) environmental-impact assessment
2) applied to An Bord Pleanála for permission for flood-relief measures
Ballyvaughan Turlough SAC
Clare County Council applied to An Bord Pleanála under the provisions of Section 177AE of the Planning and Development Act, 2000 (as amended) for a flood alleviation project at Mortyclogh, Co. Clare.
A Natura Impact Statement was submitted along with other documentation in support of the application
Proposal was for:
Construction of a pumping station (underground chambers (3.5m x 4m wide x 4m deep), control kiosk 2m3, concrete hardstanding 300m2, mesh fence to surround and screen planting),
• Construction of a rising main (pipe 550mm diameter x 700m long buried within a trench) between the pumping station and outlet,
• Construction of an inlet and outlet chamber at Poulnaclogh/ Mucknish Bay with overflowing weir,
• All other associated works.
Note: The NIS refers to an associated feasibility study and preliminary design report by Hydro Environmental Ltd, which is not included with the application